Leviathan Art - The Grand Map (by Keith Thompson)
Full res: http://tinyurl.com/5sm4hgl
The Clanker Powers
“Germany is a massive military machine with weapons aimed outwards to all surrounding countries. It points threateningly at Britain, not so much as a sign of direct aggression, but more as an indicator that it was now Germany’s turn to start a grand global Empire to challenge the world’s current one.
“Austria Hungary is an aggressive armoured giant, teetering on shoddy foundations. It is also the primary aggressor in a land grab against Serbia, with two bayonets piercing the border.
“The Ottoman empire is a teetering automaton, collapsing under the weight of a paranoid and ungainly spying network that gazes at Europe through many lenses and spy glasses.
“The Swiss watch ticks away the time, comfortable to wait it all out.”
The Darwinist Powers
“Britain is an militaristic lion beast with a Roman Imperial italic-type helmet. It sits upon a mound of riches gathered from its Empire.
“France’s elephant beast (wearing the French kepi they started the war with before adapting their firefighter helmets) is influenced by the Elephantine Collossus built for the Universal Exhibition of 1889 in Paris (later it ended up going to the Moulin Rouge.) It also represents France’s huge significance in WWI, which is something that tends to get a little glossed over.
“Russia is a huge imperialist bear, rotting and filled with maggots. (Russia collapsed during the real war.)
“Serbia’s imagery (a skeleton) is an indicator of the huge amounts of civilian deaths and suffering they’ll find themselves subject to.
“Norway and Sweden are both Scandinavian trolls in the style of John Bauer, an incredible and inspirational illustrator from the time who produced a lot of phenomenal work during the war.
“Portugal is a parrot for the Entente trying to goad a slumbering Spain into the war (this was based on something from a contemporary map and I’m not totally sure about the viewpoint’s veracity, but I couldn’t resist the image, and it seemed to match up with what I knew of the situation.)
“Ireland looks askance to Britain and brandishes a shillelagh. An indicator of their very rough relationship at the time, and of their upcoming involvement with the Central powers.
“Italy is a clutch of snakes with intents on the Central powers despite existing agreements. A foreshadowing of their arrangements at the secret 1915 Treaty of London where they were promised land in exchange for involvement. It was heavily influenced by Italian Prime Minister, Antonio Salandra’s open policy of serving Italy’s self-interest (there’s a great quote where the notion of ‘divine self-interest’ is invoked, but I can’t dig it up unfortunately.)”
I really dig the Leviathan series. You should look it up.
- superfatlady likes this
- cunninglinguist0 likes this
- noviembrenocturno reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- noviembrenocturno likes this
- shadowqueen6267 likes this
- fantasticbeastsandhowtofindthem reblogged this from tessaviolet
- zyklonicyouth reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- oreocliche reblogged this from tessaviolet
- of-many-minds reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- of-many-minds likes this
- bloodygeneral reblogged this from lalavincapervinca
- julianrigby4u reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- lalavincapervinca reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- lalavincapervinca likes this
- bloodyhell-whatasight reblogged this from tessaviolet
- klezman likes this
- support-group-hazel reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- support-group-hazel likes this
- its-a-disaster likes this
- saxophonehands likes this
- notcreepyatall reblogged this from eomira
- akuthekoboldthatcould likes this
- mockingbear reblogged this from tessaviolet
- oldmaninsorrow reblogged this from iam-librarian
- iamthe-knight reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- iamthe-knight likes this
- people-are-the-worst likes this
- nocturnalnoelle reblogged this from tessaviolet
- stonedpirate likes this
- churchofthesurvivor likes this
- barewithmezine likes this
- lionesskate likes this
- scottsman95 reblogged this from churchofthesurvivor and added:
- unseeliequeen likes this
- creepy-old-guy reblogged this from truism1
- creepy-old-guy likes this
- oborawata reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- givenuponsanity likes this
- blue-island-ya reblogged this from cunninglinguist0 and added:
- i-cannot-think-of-anything likes this
- twicenameddaughter reblogged this from tessaviolet
- ofashandember reblogged this from tessaviolet
- sickofshiny likes this
- icecream-sandwich-melancholy reblogged this from cunninglinguist0
- thehumbleprince likes this
- crowfeet reblogged this from tessaviolet
- professional-distortion likes this
- meaninglessblah likes this
- farawayarriety reblogged this from vale4ddle